Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hour of Power From His High Tower

Letter #55  destinyshouse.com    Pastor Dan Gore   10-8-10

MY HOUR OF POWER FROM HIS HIGH TOWER:
PSALMS 84:10: For a day in your courts is better than a thousand [anywhere else].

I remember reading in one of John Maxwell’s books one time that he would take part of his vacation money once per year and plan his vacation around the location of someone famous/important; that he would pay a high fee to be able to interview that person for half an hour or hour.  If you could afford a one-time fee each year to interview your favorite past president, or favorite sports hero, or your favorite T.V. evangelist, or some nationally known professional – would you do it?  Who would it be?  Would you do it so that some of that inspiration and excellence might inspire and bring out something greater in yourself?  Who would you sit down for an hour with and what questions would you like to ask them.  We don’t idolize any person, but there is value in being around greatness and learning/modeling it.

Well…there is an appointment that I must keep everyday. I must, no matter what, spend at least an hour in intimate fellowship with my Daddy in Heaven.  I not only owe it to Him, but I owe it to myself.  Is this self serving?  Absolutely!  I am not afraid to admit it.  I deserve this time to renew myself and be around someone ultimately successful and brilliant and loving.  My heart deserves His.  My soul deserves His time.  My personality and spirit deserve this time of being lifted up and filled with good things.  You see, if I allow this appointment to slip, because of other things which continually distract me away from His face, then over time my soul, spirit and personality really begin to slip downward.  I feel the weight/gravity of what is ugly and awful in this world. I am no longer at my best.  I even begin to feel negative about myself.  My mind will start to play tricks on me, and thoughts that do not even belong to me will begin to crowd in and take over.  Those relentless intrusions will then remove my peace, security and fellowship with myself and God.  Fear replaces Love.  Worry replaces Hope.  Failure thinking replaces Success thinking. Stability, Focus, and being Centered are replaced by Double-mindedness, Instability and Distraction. Negativity bumps Joy. You get the point, I think.

This one on one with Jesus then becomes my main thing…my highest leverage activity for the day.  This is not bible study time, or writing words to God, or studying spiritual books or regular praise – those are important too.  This is straight intimate time where I must join my heart with His heart.  Here is where I speak in words of the heart and spirit, and where I wait for Him to reciprocate back to me by the Spirit.        

This is what I call “my hour of power from his His tower.”  The act of this one hour (plus) has the most effect on all the other hours or the following 24 hours.  Let’s do the math real quickly.  Here is a word God gave me recently: “If you sometimes think your time is too urgent/important to really hang out with me an hour or more in private intimacy each day; if you have trouble fitting me in to your schedule – let me inform you of something: this time with me is often Preventative…meaning that for each hour you spend in my Presence, you often prevent certain wasteful attitudes, influences, distracting thoughts, moods, and problems that were otherwise headed your way today…distraction which would have used up much more than the hour you would have spent with Me.”

Better is one day, or one hour even, in His courts, than a thousand hours anywhere else.  This is one business/personal appointment we can not afford to keep missing.  I think you would agree with me, that we would not blow off a meeting with the President of the USA, or a real king, or the actual King of Kings. Write it into your day planner today, like you would your other planned meetings/appointments.  Block it off.  Oh – I need this time so badly.  It is so crucial to everything else. I must do whatever it takes to keep my appointment with Daddy God, even though there are 100 other needs screaming out at me right now to be attended to…with urgency and guilt. No!  I insist on that one pure hour in His courts today!!       




No comments:

Post a Comment